Nissan Maxima - AT - Transmission stalls when car stops quickly or slows down ...

Hi,

I have a 1992 Nissan Maxima with Automatic Transmission. I have noticed that in the last couple of weeks, when I brake and if the car stops quickly, the transmission sort of stalls and the whole car seems to go to neutral and a couple of seconds later, the car downshifts to its lowest gear - the gear you go into when you start to drive from a complete stop. Any idea as to why this is happening? Otherwise, the engine seems to be running fine. No warning lights. If I brake slowly, the car seems to downshift smoothly. But on congested highways it is hard to brake slowly :-) Also, on no occasion has the engine stalled and turned off.

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated.

- SG

Reply to
SGOWDA

How many miles, and when was trans fluid changed out.

Reply to
jjjsan

Reply to
Jon Smith

It the control valve. You have to drop the trans pan and a few bolts that hold the Valve Body to the trans. The part runs around $385.00 and is not really that hard to change.

Here is a link on how to get to the Control Valve.

me

Thank you for the information. Since two posts confirm that it is the control valve, that must be what is going on. Since I am not very mechanically inclined nor do I have the tools to change the valve by myself, I will have to go the local auto repair shop and have them look at it. Anybody have any idea what the cost of getting this control valve changed would be? Thanks again for yours and Jon Smith's help. I really appreciate it.

One more question: The car has approx. 165000 miles on it. The last time the transmission fluid was changed was approx. 2 years ago - at approx. 120000 miles. The car is worth approx. $3400. Do you think I can live with this problem till the car gives out? Is there any danger with driving the car as is? The only reason I am bringing this up, is if the car repair runs around $600 or something in that range, do you think I should get it repaired? :-)

- SG

Reply to
SGOWDA

I just wanted to update this thread on what has happened recently with my Maxima. I had posted a question as to how to change the transmission fluid on my Maxima and somebody suggested that he instead got a transmission flush done for around $60 - which in turn also helped his gear slippage issues. I thought it wouldn't hurt to do the same on my car. I have waited two weeks since the flush was done. And the car transmission has been only getting better and smoother. And haven't had the gears slip not once so far. Touch wood. But it seems to have fixed the problem. I would like to suggest this to other folks before they attempt to do other repairs. Thanks.

- SG

Reply to
SGOWDA