Possible sounds a bad water pump can make - 1995 Maxima SE

I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm experiencing, which is a peculiar sound coming from the engine compartment. A Nissan dealer service shop that checked it out thinks it may be the water pump. The sound is a whine, almost like a turbo sound, when the engine revs above

1,500 RPM (no matter if car is moving or standing still).

What kind of sounds are possible from a water pump? I'm trying to figure out if this can be ruled out or not. The first and only time I heard a bad water pump was in a Honda Accord, and it made a kind of rattling sound. The noise coming from my Maxima isn't a rattle at all. Also, the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the water pump area, but on the other side of the engine. The service shop suggests the noise is "traveling". The alternator and drive belts were ruled out by disconnecting the belts.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
Greeneyed

Keep posting what you find. I've noticed the same noise on my 97 SE and I had it checked out last week and they didn't hear it. I know the noise is there (faint) but I knew how it used to sound so I can tell the difference. I'm sort of waiting for it to get louder before I try to do something about it.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman