Proper Anti-Freeze

Once again, which is the proper anti-freeze to I get for my 2000 Maxima. Getting ready to change it.

Thanks

Reply to
Such a Deal

You can search this site for coolant and antifreeze & see what pops up. Basically Nissans are not extemely particular about what version of ethylene gylcol they get. Unlike some other cars.

I avoid Prestone because they reek as a company. They don't mind destrying endless numbers of Honda/Acura water pumps and give you no warning. I used to own stock in Allied Signal and it's one of the reasons I sold it.

If you don't use standard green or blue ethylene glycol coolant, then consider the new orange "OAT" stuff. Not so new really, GM has used it for years starting with Corvette and such. Lifetime of these OAT types (such as Texaco's Dex-Cool) is 5 years with a good flush of the old-type coolant. Otherwise you need to change it in 2 years.

OAT coolants are easier on water pump seals than silicone-silicate formulas.

The only thing bad about OAT coolants is that you must keep the radiator full. Texaco recommends that you overfill the reservoir bottle somewhat if possible. Because, they react badly with air in the radiator and tend to solidify into some nasty goop.

Oh sure, Prestone just started making an OAT coolant that is on the shelf next to their old stuff. They're just chasing the market though, & don't deserve the business IMO.

JM

Reply to
JM