95 Maxima Vehicle Mileage Expantacy

I've got 175000 miles on my 95 maxima. How much more should I expect from it? Wondering if I should be thinking new car or not yet. Mostly highway miles. Thanks

Reply to
Stu

Your guess is as good as most anyone else's. I've heard of some Maximas going for 250k, but 175k is pretty good.

I say start saving and when this one goes you'll have cash toward buying the new one. It might not happen for a few years.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

You are asking the question in the wrong way. there are factors that you must consider.

  1. Has the vehicle been properly maintained for it's lifetime (oil changes, scheduled maintenance, etc)

  1. Is the vehicle giving you any problems?

  2. Have you noticed an increase in the amount of money it takes to keep the vehicle roadworthy? Is it costing you more per mile to operate the vehicle than you are comfortable with?

  1. Would you feel comfortable taking the car on a long road trip with family members?

If you answered yes to #1 and #4, and no to the majority of the other questions, then keep it. I you answered no to 1 or 4, or yes to any parts of 2 and 3, then perhaps it is time to get a new vehicle.

Common sense should be your guideline here, not what others may think or advise.

Bobby

Reply to
NoNoBadDog!

Good advice there. The reason we bought the Maxima was because we had a '93 Altima which ran great but we were having a child and wanted a bigger car. I plan to keep the Max until either (a) it dies or (b) my wife let's me get a new one. I can't believe I'm quickly approaching 50K miles.

On our other car, I had a '95 Jimmy. It had 148,000 miles on it, but ran great. I only got rid of that in '01 because we were having a second child and wanted more cargo room. Hence the reason we then bought a minivan.

Once the kids get older, I'll dump the Maxima and get a two seater somethingoranother. (Maybe I'll get that '65 Mustang convertible.)

Kai Ponte

Not too many people actually drive their cars until they die. In an ideal world, all parts should fail at the same time that you know the car will cost more to fix than buying a new one. The worse case senario is that parts start failing one by one and you never know what's gonna happen next. Some parts life expectancy can be more readily determined, like brakes and tires, and some cannot, like alternator and starter.

Reply to
Goldfinger

I bought my '96 with 65000 miles on it. Had to replace the transmission (5-speed) with a used one for about $1800. That has been the BIGGEST expense on the car. Now, I commute 87 miles (one way) almost EVERY day and I'm over

180,000 miles with 200,000 coming up FAST!!. I WILL drive this car until it dies!! I just replaced the starter and outside of an O2 sensor, a couple belts and tires, the only other major expense is gas and I still get 27 to 29 MPG Dean

Reply to
Dean A. Irwin