Removing Crankshaft Pulley ('93 max gxe)

Trying to change timing belt on my 93 Maxima, trying to get the crankshaft pulley off. Before I go wrenching on the center bolt, is this a reverse-thread or normal bolt? If memory serves, and if I'm thinking right, it's reverse. Am I correct? Thanks for the help, Steve

Reply to
sck0006

it turns CCW to loosen the bolt.

Reply to
NissTech

... to get the crankshaft pulley off. ... Std bolt, open=ccw ...nice to loosen with a pneumatic tool

Check the 'Favorite Links', top left:

The FSM etc has confuzeus tightenin procedure. Whatever u do, in the end, verify that the belt bends downward half inch with 20lb force (as FSM says) between cam sprockets. (Free resting tensioner spring effects this tightness.)

After "2years", its good to check/retighten the belt: pry cover top ajar, test this bend with long screwdriver or similar.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks, I don't know why I thought it was reverse thread...

I appreciate it, Steve

Reply to
sck0006

When I did it, I didn't need a pulley puller, it came right off although I believe that is a fifty fifty chance, but you definitely need an impact wrench to get the bolt off. It won't work any other way.

Reply to
Hazey

...definitely need an impact wrench to get the bolt off. It won't work any other way. Having puller wont hurt. Like you, I have never needed a puller. Some pulleys have needed 'jacking' from opposite edges...

Starter off, locking the flywheel by its teeth, veeery loong tools - if no impact wrench.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks for the replies everyone, I got it off this time. steve

Reply to
sck0006

have needed 'jacking' from opposite edges...

You can do this without an impact wrench. If you get a chain wrench, you can wrap it around the pulley, and pull in the opposite direction from your breaker bar, or whatever is connected to your bolt. I used a vice-grips brand chain wrench, and it worked great. A strap wrench didn't work for me. Broke pretty quick.

If you do use a chain wrench though, be sure to cut a peice of old belt and wrap it around your pulley, to protect it. Otherwise, you're going to scrape it up pretty good.

Matt

Reply to
Matt G