Replacing Water Pump

Can't seem to get rid of the upper shroud cover after removing all (?) bolts. Is there possibly a bolt connecting the upper shroud with the lower, and any hints on how to get to it? Thanx

Reply to
fwj8186

What year? What model?

On my 3rd Gen VG30E, I had to take off both timing belt covers, upper and lower.

Do you have a manual? It should tell you how many screws need to come out. Personally, I wouldn't do this repair without a manual, and I've already done the pump twice.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

164K miles
Reply to
Bill G

thanx, re: water pump replacement. it's a 1985 maxima. i have the manual but it doesn't even mention the 'shroud/timing belt cover'. i discovered the name while searching the internet. The article i found did not mention the number of bolts, but mentioned 'clips' on the lower cover. i think there may be a bolt on the lower that holds both lower and upper, but i can't reach it!!

Reply to
fwj8186

The manual doesn't mention the timing belt cover?

Well, it may not in the water pump section, but look under the timing belt section. If you're doing a water pump, you should do the belt and belt tensioner as well. The parts are very cheap, and you'll be in there anyway.

Good luck,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

164K miles
Reply to