Snow Tires

Hey,

Any suggestions on winter tires? I live in the northern part of the glove of Michigan, and we get some major snow up here. I'm taking a class starting in January that will require me to drive about 90 miles each way, 2 or 3 days a week. Plus, I've got to get to work.

My local Sears has Blizzak WS50's, Firestone WinterForce (WinterFire?), and Michelin Artics. I also have a Tire Factory that carries Nokian Hakkapeliita's.

Any suggestions on brands to use or avoid would be appreciated. And tell me where you live and how much snow you get.

Thanks,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

170,944 miles
Reply to
Bill G

I have been running Nokian Hakkapeliittas on my '99 for four winters. I can recommend them. Great snow traction. Excellent wear characteristics. They should be good for another couple of seasons and I have a daily

110 km commute.

Perhaps not as sticky on ice as the compounds in tires like Blizzaks but they last longer and are more consistent as they wear, where Blizzaks have sticky microcell compound for the first 50% only.

Regards, Mike in the great white north Saskatchewan, Canada

Reply to
Mike

I have Blizzak WS50 on my BMW 528i and they are great in winter, especially on icy roads or plowed streets. I also have Artic Alpin on my 01 Max SE and they are better in snow. Great grip, they pull like a tractor. But they feel mushy on dry roads. Both types wear about the same, but I think the Blizzaks feel more secure for typical winter conditions in the Chicago area. Matthew

01 Max SE 00 BMW 528i Sport
Reply to
maxima1
01 Max SE 00 BMW 528i Sport