Snow Tire and Winter Driving Suggestions for a 2006 Pony

Well, winter is on its way and as much as I hate it, my new 2006 V6 Pony Pack equipped Mustang is my only vehicle. It's going to have to commute 60 miles a day up here in New Hampshire. This means snow tires! The driving will be town roads and a trip down Rt.3. The Pony Pack included the

235/55WR17

P Zero Nero M+S tires which I suspect will not get me through the winter up here with out a lot of fish-tailing and possibly worse. I have looked on Tirerack.com and come up with a winter package as follows (they suggest going with 16" tires rather than 17") - Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 (215/65-16) on alloy wheels. Total cost with shipping $818.96.

My Questions:

1) What are folks thoughts on snow tire brands and models such as Michelin X-Ice, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2, Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow, Pirelli Winter Carving, Dunlop Winter Sport M3 etc.?

2) Alloy vs. Steel rims?

3) How do I protect the nose from all the salt and sand that will be kicked up. My 2000 Accord looks like it was hit with a sandblaster from the 6 years of highway winter driving.

Any suggestions and experiences would be a great help!

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Al Antosca

Last year, I did the same thing and went for Blizzakk snow tires on 16" steel rims for my 2002 gt, which normally has 17" rims. I went with black steel rims on my red car and that made it look like something out of Mad Max. No biggie to me as I am not out to impress people with my ride.

The tires are quite sticky.

I had no problems at all in the snow and the car worked well. Just go easy on the gas. My car is an automatic.

I didn't do anything about the road salt and such, except to make sure I went through the car wash on a regular basis.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

Stop tailgating.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Thank you for the input. This was very helpful. My pony is an automatic also. There is only a $108 difference between the steel rims with hub caps and a set of alloy rims. I thinl I'll go with the alloy. Thanks again for the reply, Al

Reply to
Al Antosca