Troubleshooting Quiz.........

The 96 I-30 had been running perfectly-no problems at all. My girlfriend and I parked to have a cup of coffee at a neighborhood café, and when I took the key out of the ignition, the alarm sounded. Key back in, alarm stops. Back out, alarm starts again. Tried the lock-unlock-3-times routine, still the same. Restarted the car, turned it off, took the key out, alarm goes off again. So we left the key in the ignition and sat in the coffeehouse across the street, pondering what to do next.

Called my mechanic (brilliant troubleshooter)-he was on vacation. So I called the dealership-the service manager said he had never heard of such a problem, and neither had any of his techs--he added that there was something like 70 years cumulative experience in the shop that day. He said all we could do is bring it in, and they would try to figure it out.

Anyone care to guess how the problem was resolved?

Reply to
Steve Green

Disconnect the battery for 1 hour, 24 hours ? Allows all systems to reset ?

Al Moodie

Reply to
Al Moodie

My guesses:

- unjammed panic button or took the battery out of the remote?

- unlocked the drivers door with the key?

- closed whichever door/hood was ajar setting off the alarm?

Reply to
E Meyer

You're right, in effect.

Working backwards:

  1. if a door is ajar, you can't arm the alarm, so no.

  1. I should have been clearer, the lock-and-unlock-3-times was done with the key--didn't help.

  2. Yes, but not the way you think. Here's the "key" clue: "My girlfriend and I parked........." My girlfriend had her purse crammed so tight with stuff, that something was pressing the panic button on _her_remote. I figured this out while on the way to the dealership.
Reply to
Steve Green