106 rear screen replacement

Hi

Is this a job I can tackle myself? The heated screen connectors have ripped off the wife's rear screen (as I was trying to unplug it to trace a fault, mea culpa). As my local scrapyard has several in I was wondering if it was feasible to do a home replacement.

Reply to
Malc

Not an easy job as it is bonded. Best to get the screen and ask a windscreen firm to renew for you. Get quotes from a few first.

Reply to
nigel

It's hardly worth it. The car was only £700 a couple of years ago and I'm not going to shell out money on something non essential. I might tried a metal loaded glue to rejoint the connectors. It would probably be almost as easy to replace the entire tailgate.

Reply to
Malc

Hi,

Worthes a try IMO, as I've already heard of that trick on another NG. Fail detection is pretty difficult on screen heaters as you have to find a voltage drop along a resistor. Still it's possible, I repaired almost all my wires using some contact repairer - only 3 working on my car. I even will have to perform another check, as there's another one missing now :-/

HTH, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

In this case it's the spade connectors that the wires from the tailgate go to that have pulled of the screen.

Reply to
Malc