Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement - Volvo 240 DL

Hi all

I own a 1990 Volvo 240 that is making a sound that is driving me nuts! I am

95% sure that the rear wheel bearing on the right (passenger) side is the problem. Due to the high cost of labour (I was quoted $207 at one place cause it is a 3 hour job), I was considering doing it myself, with the help of my boyfriend and my trusty Bentley's book. I was wondering if anyone on here has attempted this type of repair and if there are any tips and trick you can provide me with.

TIA

Nadia

Reply to
N S

go to

and click on "contents" from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960

Reply to
Randy G.

It is not something you can do yourself within 10 minutes. I suggest you ask a few generic garages for a price. The bearing is btw more expensive than similar bearings of other brands.

Martijn

98% off all videosystems on DVD, (S)VHS or DV

Reply to
Martijn

I replaced the rear bearings on my 1800. I don't know if the 240 axle is similar or not. On mine I had to have a machine shop press off the old bearings and press on new ones. Basically you pull the axle half from the car, take it to the shop, then put it back together.

This is certainly an advanced DIY job and there is no way to know if you and your boyfriend have the skills or not. Only you can make that decision.

John

Reply to
John Horner