2002 306 air con

Hi,

I have a corroded air con pipe which is passing fluid badly. The pipe appears to be aluminum, is about 10 mm diameter and the corrosion area is a circular patch about 5 mm diameter. Is there any way of successfully patching this pipe or is it a replacement job? I was hoping that there would be a repair comprising of a rubber patch secured by some type of jubilee clip?

Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Sorry to say you have to replace the pipe as no repair to these sort of pipes work .(as i have tryed it)

Reply to
Chris

Thought so!

Thanks Chris anyway.

Reply to
LennyK

Unless you got a very good plumber that will do a repair.not many of then would touch it as it is ali.

Reply to
Chris

I've repaired ali pipes before - make a cut, sleeve with larger diameter ali pipe, and braze with ali repair rod - can be a good fix in some circumstances

ib

Thanks "ib"

I'm keen to give your suggestion a go. Just one more question, do you know where would I find some ali pipe (to sleeve 9mm OD pipe) and an ali repair rod?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Try Halfords or a place that recharges air con,or some one that does frige and freezer repairs as they must have things like that on there van.

Reply to
Chris

Good suggestions, thanks Chris for the help.

Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

You must have some one near you that does things like that.or a shop that can help you with a repair,

Reply to
Chris

..or find a suitable bit of AC pipe at the breakers - even b+q do ally pipe / tube of reasonable thickness and strength

Reply to
IB

Assuming this is the pipe along the bottom of the condenser, getting it off is most of the job. On mine the holding screws have rusted solid into the body. The replacement pipe is also available, as this is a common fault on this model. At least you know this will work when refitted. Your repair may not.

Reply to
Brian

"Assuming this is the pipe along the bottom of the condenser, getting it off is most of the job. On mine the holding screws have rusted solid into the body. The replacement pipe is also available, as this is a common fault on this model. At least you know this will work when refitted. Your repair may not".

Yes, it's only really worth attempting a repair if the corrosion is obviously local (due to moisture trapped under a clamp for example) and the rest of it looks in very good condition

Reply to
IB

I enquired about a replacement part --> £285 +VAT! The pipe damage, near to a sensor in the pipe, is close to the dehydrator, I think. The corrosion appeared to be aggravated by the pipe rubbing against a plastic plug protruding through the upper wheel arch. I cut across the pipe at the hole and fitted a 'Wade' 10mm copper pipe connector, with brass olives, which I carefully compressed. I did this a week ago and all is still well as I thought it was worth a try opposed to £285 +VAT ;-)

Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

So how much did it cost you in the end ?

Reply to
Chris
2 x £19.99 AC fluid from Halfrauds (one wasted finding the leak) and 'wade' fitting donated by mate.
Reply to
LennyK

I think you can consider that to be a success then. I must admit, I had no idea that a pipe would cost that much, the condenser is cheaper.

Reply to
Brian

The bean counters probably realised that the pipe gets replaced more often so upped the price accordingly with an eye to the profit. Ouch, that's my cynical gland kicking in again.

Reply to
Keith W