Performance estimation please (Modded 205 GTi)

I doubt it. If no other work has been done to the engine, I don't expect the exhaust/manifold/induction kit to add that much. I'd say you'd be looking at nearer 5bhp- if anything at all. I'm no expert on this but for one, the original intake/exhaust system on the 205 GTi is known to be pretty good - there isn't really much room for improvement unless you're fitting bigger valves & throttle bodies, long duration cams, etc. Still, that set up will probably give you room for more improvement should you modify the engine. Beware, however, that some systems might even lose you BHP.

See Dave Baker's tuning article for more info, at

.

The only way you're gonna have any idea about this is to stick it on the rolling road. Bear in mind that even if you have 145bhp at the flywheel (and I seriously doubt it), that's not what you have at the driven wheels.

No way. What the hell does 'estimated' mean anyway? I guess, to a certain extent, it depends on what gearbox is fitted, but if it has either the 1.6 or 1.9 GTi 'box, I wouldn't expect much more than 120mph out of it. Maybe if you rag it to pieces down a hill you might hit 135mph - of course maybe it HAS been ragged to pieces down a hill.

Roughly 8 seconds.

Sounds like a nice car if you want it a bit rude - don't expect it to be any faster than a standard 1.9 though. Probably not what you want to hear but, well, that's how I see it. Could be a fun car on track days with the suspension set up correctly and if you *properly* modified the engine, it could be pretty fast.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

I'm buying this car in a day or two:

Peugeot 205 GTi (originall 1.6 GTi)

1990 on G 95K miles (body) 1.9 litre GTi engine dropped in (72K) 1.9 GTi 15" alloys with 4 new 195/50/15 tyres Lowered with full KONI adjustable suspension Magnex stainless exhaust Stainless 4 branch manifold Full induction kit Strut Brace E windows / C locking / Non PA steering Mint condition, no rust, no tears, no fading

The seller is rating it as the follows, just wondered on his accuracy ...

Standard 1.9 GTi engine = 130bhp Exhaust / manifold / induction kit - + 15 bhp (ish)

1.6 GTi weight 886kg

Therefore 145 bhp / 886 kg or 164 bhp per tonne

Est 135 mph

0-60 ???

Any ideas?

Also a price guide would be good - in mint cond in/out/engine with red interior - engine put in professional (I know the garage) and tuned.

All help appreciated

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

Cool - cheers for that - appreciated

Many thanks

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

No worries, I like the sounds of the suspension setup, seeing as it's adjustable it would be good for messing around with on the track and so long as it's in decent condition and the engine isn't about to fall apart, then you'll be getting a reasonable car. Now, if it looked like it did have any potential engine trouble (on the miles it sounds OK but that doesn't account for how it's been driven), I'd be tempted to use it as a bargaining point and cost in a full engine rebuild, getting it ported and gas-flowed at the same time, along with TBs, larger valves, etc. >:) You should probably consider uprating the brakes in that case as well though!!

On cost, I dunno as modded cars are, IMO, somewhat of an odd case. Modded

205 GTis often end up being worth less than if they're all original - however, to the right buyer and with the right modifications, they can be worth a lot more. Have a look at the prices that some have sold for on eBay and in autotrader and then decide what *you're* prepared to pay for a hyrib 205 GTi 1.6/1.9/loud thing ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B