Brake pipes - MK2 Golf

I'm trying to swap my brake pipes (as in the metal ones) on the rear beam. I've got the hoses off at the caliper end, but I can't get the brake pipes off the hoses under the beam, near the mounts / bushes. The driver's side is nearly rounded off and the passenger side is almost completely inaccessible.

Any ideas on how to get them undone? I don't really want to use the blue spanner as it'll only bugger the flexihoses and I'll end up chasing it all the way back up to the engine bay. I'm thinking the only way to get on might be to file the 11mm fixing down to 10mm with the hope of getting a spanner on there. For those of you who don't know, access is very tight so there's no option of hammering a socket on there etc.

Reply to
Doki

What I've done in the past is cut through the metal pipe just above the union then forced a socket onto it and used that. Spanners are OK but they seem to splay too easily.

Reply to
Conor

Aye. I'm tempted to rip the lot off and replace it all, so that I hopefully won't have to do it again for another ten years. Seems simpler than leaving some old pipes and flexis on to have to start messing about with them when they fail an MOT in a couple of years.

Reply to
Doki

If the flexis are old it's worth changing them anyway whilst you're down there. As Conor says cut the pipe & use a socket & invest in a pair of decent flare nut spanners.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's what I did with a MK1 years ago. Just cut the unions off and replace the lot. It's much easier.

Reply to
Chris Bartram