205 Cracks - Structural?

I?ve got a 3 door 205 that has done 175k. Near the top of the door frame there is a groove that runs back along the car which I presume is a weld line. Since I?ve had the car there have been cracks in the seam but they have recently started to grow and the driver side one is now about 3 inches long. I?ve seen the same thing on 205s in the scrappy but never as long as mine. Has anyone else had these? Are they structural or just cracks in the paintwork?

Reply to
Streltsky

Hi,

It's structural (whatever some people say) and especially noticeable on 3 doors. You'll have the same kind of cracks under the rear wing. That's the bodywork flexing which causes this. A hard driving (like spinning around a corner like a devil) makes them longer. AFAIK fitting a front struct bar stops cracking, just because it moves the flexpoint to another place. My best advice would be "don't care". I also have them on my '93 Junior D.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Quite usual - there's a flexible bit there where the wing and roof join - loads of them go over time. Nothing to worry about.

Matt

Thank the lord for that. I thought my 1.9 Gti had had a new rear quarter, but couldn't find any other evidence of it.

-- R

front

Thanks, Nice to know my roof won?t be falling off soon :D

Reply to
Streltsky

Hi,

No. Even heading on the motorway at incredible speeds you won't lose the roof. Building a convertible is a bit more work ;-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Incredible speed? I wish. If i didn?t know better I?d swear someone?s taken 10bhp off the car now that summer is back :D The car still seems to struggle to get oxygen, and therefore to get over 75mph. It?s not too bad off the motorway though, hence the cracks :)

Streltsky

Reply to
Streltsky

Hi,

Yup :-) I guess we all have such performances in our history. I remember having took 95MPH on a desert countryside road last year, down then uphill, damn that was good :-)

Errr, perhaps a spark plugs & air filter change could cure it. AFAIK the XU series aren't prone to vapor-locking (at least not the same way than many Renault engines, which have both manifolds on the same side). If you car has many miles, a valve clearances check could be instructive, too, even if it's shim-trimmed it may have moved.

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
"Streltsky" a écrit dans le message de news:1_621129 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com...

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

G.T

Thanks but it?s a Diesel. It?s a reconditioned lump thats done around

50k since being fitted to my car. The car is fine on cool nights, lively energetic and ready to go but in the heat of the day it just seems to get an asthma attack. I?m probably just asking too much off a standard aspiration diesel. Even the TDI Xantia I had as a courtesy car a while back ran better in cool dry conditions, though the change was less obvious.

Streltsky

Reply to
Streltsky

Hi,

Oooops, yeah so, forget about spark plugs :-) My '93 Junior D also has less performance when driven on warm weather, but still has enough power to bring me where I want. I guess that's just a feature, of an effect of too warm air inlet.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T