Crack in paintwork

I have been to look at a car to buy, and noticed a rusty crack in the paintwork. It is a 03 fiesta, and the crack is on the outside of the wheel arch bit that you can only see by opening the rear door. It is in a large flat area, not near a seam or anything. the crack runs vertically, and is about 1.5 inches long.

What could have caused this crack to appear?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

rust ?

dodgy area to have it all if you want to sort it out comesmetically its hard to blend it out but usually possible (depends on the colour some easier than others)

Reply to
magicman

Or filler from the accident damage.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you bend the metalwork enough, the paint above can crack. So it's either had a bit of a bump or it's been bodged...

Reply to
Doki

Well it doesn't look distorted, it is flat and smooth around it. I was thinking maybe it is from damage to the inside of the wheel arch, like from a stone chip or something, but there would be a circular bubble if it was?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think "Both of those" is probably the correct answer...

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the answers. I found another fiesta a year younger for the same price.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith