Peugeot 205 Distributer

My wife has a 205 Automatic which has ignition problems. Replaced plugs,lead,rotor arm and distributor cap.Timing spot on according to Haynes manual. Car seems to be held back accelerating, idles like crap, hard to start hot, overruns when switched off.... Had a hometune guy says the vacuum advance/ retard is shot..........can't get vacuum unit by itself, new dist 258 pounds!!!!!!!!!!! and no good ones in the breakers yard! Any ideas? Any possible solution, except buying new one? Thanks

Reply to
twiggers

Sounds like it's running weak.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Reminds me of when I needed a distributor for a Holden (=Vauxhall) in New Zealand. None at the scrap yard, new ones too expensive. The car had a Nissan engine, and there were plenty of Nissan distributors in the scrap yard (they obviously don't go wrong as much as the one I had) so I put one of these in.

I did try changing a few of the distributor bits on their own with no success.

I'm sure that you'll find a 205 distributor if you're willing to travel (don't tell the scrappy you're from out of town or they'll add something to the price).

I've just been to

and the price for a "spares or repair" 205 starts at £95, including a distributor and a set of tyres. Make sure you get the same age/model/engine if you go along this route. All you need is a big garden to put it so it doesn't upset the neighbours!

Reply to
DP

Some Citroen engines have common parts with Peugeot so may be worth considering those, particularly the AX.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew P

Is this a 1.6?? Sounds like it! Anyways look in the scrappie for Cit BX's or early Pug 405 with the same engine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Running on is usually caused by excess heat - so being retarded, not advanced.

Some vacuum systems mainly advance the timing at cruise to improve fuel economy on a lightly loaded engine so have no effect on maximum power etc if not working.

Also, vacuum is high at idle, so if anything connecting the unit after setting the timing without will advance the timing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman