205 GRD Battery - tools?

Hello everyone,

I've just got a lovely little 205 GRD, needs the battery charging before I take her for her MOT. Does anyone know exactly what tools I need to buy to take the battery out? I'm fairly sure the positive terminal is 10mil but there's a clamp down the side of the battery, what size is this? Do I need a bar or anything to get to it or will a long enough spanner do?

I'm a bit of a spanner myself so please help? :)

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat

If it starts okay why not just take it for a good run and charge it up that way. If it's still not holding a decent charge after a long run then it probably needs changing.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I'd rather not do that, I would imagine it's bad for the alternator (as it's designed to keep the battery topped up, not charge it from flat). Plus it doesn't have an MOT so I can't really take it for a run. The battery really is completely flat, jump-started it and left it running for an hour or so (not driving it anywhere) and the lights wouldn't even come on full brightness afterwards, so it does need a good charge.

I just want to know how to remove the battery, the terminals are definitely 10mil but there's another bolt somewhere I need to undo, and I can't find it, I can see one but that seems to hold the battery tray itself to the chassis.

Help?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat

Take the advice of daddy Freddy, he is totally correct ,,, Jump start it and leave it running for 15-20 mins, thats all it needs, who ever told you that its bad for the alternator is talking crap, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy.

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat

just leave it ticking over for a short time should do the job.and who told you its bad for the alternator is talking crap, so just let it tick over for 15-20-30 mins. then take it for its M.O.T.

Reply to
Chris

If you have previously left it idling and the battery did not maintain the charge, then the battery must be suspect, time to change the battery, you said you don't think the alt, is charging very well on idle, Well as long as the battery warning light is OUT,,,, then its charging, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy.

Give it a good run..that will sort it out.

Reply to
Chris

Give it a good run..that will sort it out.

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat

Probly 10mm to undo the leads and 13 mm to release it from the tray. chris Addlestone

Reply to
Chris

As Chris said, the 13mm will be for a bolt that's down the side of the battery holding it to its tray, you may well not even need to remove the bracket all the way, sometimes if you loosen it enough you can ease the battery to one side and lift it out. Depending on access to this bolt a 13mm sock on an extension bar may be of help. Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

So have you replaced it yet? or is it going to be done in the week ? chris ADDLESTONE SURREY

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat