205 not even turning over...

My 1996 Peugeot 205 Diesel has started to play up on long journeys. Twice now having completed long journeys and then stopping at petrol stations the engine fails to even turn over let alone start. All the lights on the dash come on and then I turn the key and they all go off and nothing whatsoever happens.

If you give the car a few minutes then it comes back to life. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Coxy

I've had this before with a dodgy battery - intermittant connection inside. I'd do some tests to prove this before shelling out on a new battery but it might just be the cause.

Might also be a broken/poorly connected engine earth strap.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Check your battery terminals and the earth strap between the engine and the body.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Disconnect the battery terminals, clean them with emery paper or similar and then grease them with Vaseline (NOT grease) before reconnecting. Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will improve the connection and help keep it working properly, grease will insulate it and stop it working.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

do a volt drop test at starter terminals

Reply to
Mindwipe

If, of course, you have the necessary equipment to do so. I haven't and I don't know anyone who has.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

People seem to generally be thinking that it is definitely the battery that is the problem. That may well be the case but I can't get over the fact that the problem only occurs after long journeys and never at any other time.

Could there be any issue with overheating?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Keith Willcocks wrote:

Reply to
Coxy