306 age old problem... Coolant level...

I seem to be having the same problems as others. The coolent seems to be going somewere, and I also seem to be getting poor MPG.

When I bought the car in November, an N reg 306 TD Sedan, I replaced the thermostat and rad cap, flushed the radiator and filled the system using a header bottle on the rad. I seem then, over time, to be getting airlocks in the system.

On using the header bottle and getting rid of the airlocks, the temp gauge shows a steady 80C, then over a period of about 7-10 days it will progressively get lower and lower when running until it hangs steady at just above 70c. At this pemp, the low clooland level light will flash occasionally when I start the car but then go out. the heater gets warm but it is not as hot as I would expect, I have it turned into the red and the air is just warm to the touch.

The second fault is the miles per gallon, I got 28mpg on the last tank, which from what I have read is shockingly low for this type of car. I do, however, get a constant 'wiff' of diesel from the engine which suggests to me that I have a leak somwhere.

I am now at a crossroads, I am reasonably proficient when it comes to doing work on a car having worked on countless CVH issues with a Scimitar I also own. What are the likely causes? I am more concerned with the coolant level as I don't want an overheated engine, am I looking at a head gasket problem, or is it more likely that the water pump has failed? I have already had to replace the power steering pump on the car as this failed within a week of buying the car.

The car had been unused for a couple of years prior to me buying it and the previous owner put it through an MOT which it passed without any warnings.

Is it work me doing this work or just getting rid?

Reply to
Pete

MICHAEL ROCHE