306 Diesel fuel econ

Hi, I have a diesel 306 - its done 127:000miles I'm having problems working out whether or not I'm getting good miles per gallon.

I put £10 worth of diesel in at a time until the light comes on (approx 12 litres ) and I am getting about 90 miles from this. Is this good / bad? If its bad:- Whats causing this? How can I improve this?

Bill

Reply to
bill

M. H. Greaves

that mileage is about right . i get 90-110 depending on type of journey and how heavy my left foot is.

Reply to
Simon

It's easier to fill the tank all the way up, drive around for a few days, then fill up the tank all the way up again. That way it will tell you excatly how much fuel you used to to X number of miles (and you don't run the risk of running out either). The more miles you do the better the average.

Also remember that not all gallons are equal...

1 gallon [UK] = 4.54609 liter 1 gallon [US, dry] = 4.4048838 liter 1 gallon [US, liquid] = 3.7854118 liter

so, assuming your in the UK

12l = 2.63gln 90m / 2.63gln = 34mpg

My 307 (110 HDI) is doing ~45mpg if I drive gently, ~40mpg if I am in a hurry.

How to improve your mpg? Drive slower? The 307's mpg peaks at ~55mph Don't accelerate as fast?

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

If you want to check it properly, fill it up to the brim and reset the trip meter, use it for a week and then refil and not miles and litres. Bit more accurate. Dont know about you but when I fill when the light comes on permanent on my car it can have as much as 3 litres variation week to week.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I don't think tuning a diesel will give more miles, (if you can tune a diesel) what exactly will they do? I've changed the fuel filter,oil filter, oil, what more on a diesel can you do?

Bill

Reply to
bill

Yeah Ive considered that, maybe I'll check the haynes manual to see how much the tanks holds. Not sure if this is true but I was once told these diesels do a 100 miles from the light coming on to empty tank.

Reply to
bill

In message , bill writes

Not too bad - I tend to get 110-120 miles per tenner depending on how I drive. Fast mway gave more like 100. After current posts on timing being one tooth out I'm more worried about that, top speed (err, private road) seems to be about 105mph.

Reply to
mike. buckley

And here are the results of the Belgian jury :

For many years I drive a 306 diesel until "fuel empty" lights flips on. I'm a technical person, and I do it to check the healthy of my car.

Typical refill of my fueltank = 54 liter gasoil ( diesel ).

Peugeot 306 XTDT 1905 cc, 1 jan 1999

Depending on my drivers behaviour and the road :

900 km's / tank is the max I ever achieved on speedway's with limited speed at 100km/h

830 km / tank is common when only speedway road 120 km/h

750 km / tank is common on mixed road city, speedway 650 km / tank when driving 160km/h in Germany

My car 25.000 km/year, now in april 2004 having 140.000 km, is consuming less as in the beginning in 1999.

British vs. metric measuring system

gallon 4 quarts 4,546 liter1 mile 1760 yards 1,609 kilometer1 pint 4 gills 0,57 liter82 °F = 28 °C

full refill 54.000 11.879

km miles l/100km gall/100miles

900 559.3 6.000 2.124 830 515.8 6.506 2.303 750 466.1 7.200 2.548 650 403.9 8.308 2.940

Most common for me : 7.2 liter / 100km

best regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Charlier