306 disc woes

Car is a '99 306 Meridian estate, 1.9TD, pre-HDI.

About two years ago, when replacing the front brake pads, I renewed the discs, which were looking quite worn.

In April this year, the brakes had started juddering when braking, with noticeable steering wheel oscillation. I replaced the discs and pads again.

By September the juddering had returned and the car failed its MOT (uneven braking). I replaced the discs and pads yet again, and obtained a full refund for the previous set, for which I still had the receipt.

Now the juddering has re-appeared, as bad as ever.

I don't sit with my foot on the brakes at lights; I always use the handbrake (rear drums) unless stopping only momentarily. The sliding caliper pins are free and properly greased.

I can't think that the problem is due to some mis-alignment of the hub faces or caliper assemblies - if it were I would expect the problem to show up immediately with new discs.

All three sets of discs have been Delphi, bought from Andrew Page. Are these discs known to be rubbish? Should I be buying genuine discs from a Peugeot dealer?

Peter

Reply to
Eccles

Check the suspension bushes, if they've gone soft then you'll feel this, & check if you've actually got runout with a dial guage.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bit odd, is everything all torqued up properly ?

I normally use genuine parts or good quality parts from GSF car parts.

Not heard of Delphi but I'm not an expert of brake parts. See if the post above is of any help and maybe check the area and see if anything obvious thats wrong or try some genuine pads and discs ?

Reply to
James

Have you eliminated inadequate break-in procedure as a cause? See

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Like the rest of the people have said check the suspension bushes, and try and get one of those things to check the disc to see if it is running true,

Reply to
Chrs

"Duncan Wood" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@lucy.domainnotset.invalid:

I think I'd be refurbishing the calipers and especially the sliders to be honest.

Reply to
Tunku

disc runout is not felt at first with new discs but leads to disc thickness variations which are felt and are measurable on the mot brake test.

fit new discs, bolt them on solidly and check the runout, repair as needed , usually a new hub is the order of the day.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This 2004 link was written in anticipation of the OP's enquiry. :) A merry Christmas to all!

Reply to
Lin Chung