306 Gauges problem???

Hi, can anyone help???

I have a 1998 306 GTI-6 which I am not getting any gauges moving on. The only one that works is the water temperature gauge. None of the fuel gauge, oil gauge, rev counter or the speedometer are working? I have checked all the fuses and they all appear intact. Everything else on the car's electrical system seems to be fine. This started to happen all of a sudden one day after it had rained quite heavyly one morning.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Cheers Matt

Reply to
CapnBirdsI

Try removing the shunt fuse with the ignition on. Refit and start the engine. That has worked for me in the past.

Reply to
Nigel

What is the shunt fuse? Where will I find that? Did it eliminate your problem or has it been back since?

Cheers Matt

Reply to
CapnBirdsI

Yes it did cure it. The shunt fuse is in the fusebox. Look for a fuse with SH printed on the top, I think on the top row. It's staggered down from the other fuses in the row.

Reply to
Nigel

Further to this, today I had a 106 in with the instruments not working, and I eventually cured it by just disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. So maybe try that first. I did it with the ignition off!!

Reply to
Nigel