306 HDi 2.0 no power steering, battery light and nasty noise

On the way home tonight my 306 started having a funny clattering noise coming from the driver?s side. At the same time the battery light started flickering and on parking I noticed that there was no power steering. Checking under the bonnet the clattery noise seemed to be coming from the top end of the engine, at the driver?s side end.

Any idea what has broken?

Reply to
keefie

The only common link I can think of is the drive belt that powers the alternator and power steering pump. Sounds like the adjuster has come loose or a pulley has started to go west.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Yes something to do with the aux drive belt. Check the crankshaft pulley, as they have a habit of falling apart. If bad this could cause the belt to drop off. The pulley itself makes a horrible clattering noise when it goes. New one cost about £50 from Euro Car Parts. That was the cheapest I could find. It could also be the auto tensioner pulley on the same belt which is at the top of the engine. If it is flapping loose then the belt will also be loose. All driver's side of course.

Reply to
Brian