306 Intermittent fault: Driver's side window switches

Hi all

Most annoying thing - got myself a 1998 Pug 306 on Wednesday, and there's an intermittent fault already.

The switch unit in the driver's side door - the one with both front windows and mirrors controls - the window controls seem to work depending on which way the wind is blowing - i.e. at random.

We've confirmed the mirrors work 100%, as does the passenger window using his control. Just the drivers side window control that causes problems.

We have prised the unit out, checked for loose connections, unplugged and re-plugged the wiring block in and it still doesn't want to know.

Indeed, I only got the window back up again a few minutes ago after shutting the door seemingly in a particular way!

Any ideas? The motor doesn't sound any different to the passenger one, so perhaps its not that thats tired..?

Thanks,

James

Reply to
James Green

It sounds like the same problem I had with mine, one or more of the wires in the flexible connector between the door and body have broken.

One thing you can quickly check is whether the switches illuminate properly. Watch them as you slowly open and close the door, if the lights flicker on and off, then that is almost certainly the problem.

You can cut the cable-tie holding the rubber sheath to the door connector and pull it back to have a look. In my case it was one of the thicker wires on the outside of the bundle and I was able to fix it. If it is one of the middle wires you may have to get a new connector as they are quite difficult to get to.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rae

Yeh, if you want to do a proper job on it, it requires the entire dash being pulled out...

But you can get away with doing it on the outside by just taking the door off...easier in my opinion...

I wouldn't leave it neglected either, as you'll notice other things starting to go, like central locking etc...

I'm surprised its affected quite a young car though :(

Reply to
Oliver

Reply to
M. H. Greaves

Yup, I forgot to say that my local dealer gave me a quote of 250 quid to do the job.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rae

I had this problem. Took the switch apart and found the contacts on the circuit board had corroded over. Used a small flat blade screw driver to clean the contact points and the window worked fine. The box is not glued together just clipped. Beware the mirror positon stalk though. The spring the centralises it can fly out when the switch is taken apart.

I also have the problem with the door loom. Works fine when closed, but stops when open.

Reply to
richt

Maplin etc sell a fibreglass 'pencil' which is ideal for cleaning contacts without damage. Give them a squirt of contact grease afterwards to help prevent further corrosion - a clean and dry one will soon give trouble again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman