306 key replacement

My daughter has just bought a 1998 (S) 306 1.4 maridian. only one key for central locking. can we get and program a spare. found key on ebay to buy. ours is single button IR type and has 2x CR1620 batteries. any ideas please.

-- Message posted using

information at

agrofobik

Have a look here.

Brian

That's only for the 2 button versions, not the single button version that he has.

David Hearn

If you get one the same on ebay, it's easy enough to pair it to the car. All you do is put one key in the ignition, turn it (not to start the engine) and point the new key at the receiver whilst pressing the button within 10 seconds of turning the ignition on. If you're pairing two keys (say the existing one and the new one) you have to do one, then do the other within 10 seconds after that.

Obviously if you've got one key in the ignition, you can't pair that one, so I think this is in the case of having two remote keys and one plain.

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

The issue is that the 1998 models have immobilisers, and whilst you may be able to get the remote to work the central locking, the transponder in the remote cannot be registered with the ECU without (AFAIK) Peugeot being involved.

David Hearn

Ah, right of course - I was thinking it was a simple key like my two- button.

Reply to
Rexx Magnus