405 diesel estate warning light/crap heater?

Hello everyone,
Just wondered if anyone could confirm what the RED warning light on the dash that comes on/off intermittently is? It looks like 3 wavy
lines with a sort of pan lid floating on top - coolant level warning lamp perchance?
Sorry, I bought the car without a manual...
if it helps, its a 93 405 turbo diesel estate, UK model. The heater is also crap, worked very mildly before I changed the coolant but now no heat. Brrrrr, not good in January
Cheers
David Youngs wrote:

Yup, low coolant.
Cheers
Peter
David Youngs wrote in message

As Peter has said, the lamp is low coolant levelwarning. When refilling, the cooling system must be bled otherwise airlocks could easily stop the heater working. Mine is a 1.8i petrol model and has a tyre valve type cap on the thermostat housing to let the worst of the air out as you refil. Dont try and vent here when the system is hot and under pressure as you could get a burn. I don't know if the diesel is similar.
HTH
Bob
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:36:51 GMT, Bob Minchin wrote:

So there must be a leak somewhere? If you'r lucky just a small one, get the engine good and hot and have a look around. Don't ignore it and just top up. that way stand to be looking at water pissing from a big hole in the middle of nowhere </voice of experience>

Guess so. My old Xantia had a red warning lamp with a black symbol of what looks like a casserole. No mention of it in the handbook, but it turned out to be 'water in fuel filter' warning. Maybe the Peugeot has similar. Just thought I'd mention, so it won't frighten you if it flashes occasionally. There's no cure, (apart from cutting the cable) draining the filter housing doesn't stop it. DaveK
--
Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.
Thank you everyone for your replies, much appreciated. I will check out the coolant system ASAP

It is in the HBOL too!

They make a good enough fit as is.
The it is just a matter of loosening the bleed screw(s) till coolant flows, closing them, running the engine up to temp, massaging the fat hoses & repeating ad nauseam (well until no more air from bleeds)
What could be easier :-^)
Good luck with that. If it works, you'll resolve both problems together at no cost - as long as there's no coolant leak.
Regards,
Philip

Of course if you've got a 106 both the inlet and outlet pipes to the heater perform an upward U ensuring you can get air locks in both. The cunning bit is that there's only a bleed valve in one of the pipes which ensures you can't get the fscking thing bled properly.
--
Malc

Site Timeline