307 FAP filter

I'm getting the "Unblock Diesel Filter" message on my 307. I have had the FAP liquid (can't remember what it is actually called) topped up as it was low and could have been a symptom of the message (apparently). I'm begining to think that the filter does actually have to be changed. I spoke to one Peugeot garage and was told (after giving them my VIN) that it was a first generation filter and should be changed after 48K. When I bought the car it had 42K on it and the garage told me they were going to give it the main 48K service prior to collection. I feel that if the garage agreed to do a 48K service, even though the milage was only 42K then they should have changed the filter at the same time. The car has now done 53K and the error message keeps popping up every now and then. I haven't contacted the Peugeot garage I purchased the car fom yet - still feeling the water.

Reply to
Barney

Are you brave enough to take the filter off the car yourself? It is the one in the centre of the exhaust with the heat shield under it. It has 2 pipes going into it, one at each end, and a temperature sensor halfway down. I took mine off and reverse flushed it with several kettle-fulls of boiling water, interspaced with blowing out with compressed air. I did this until no more white residue (the ash which clogs the filter) came out, then dried it out for a bit and put it back on the car. Apart from a bit of steam out the back when I first started it up, all was well, and the message has not returned. It has now done about 7k miles since then. PSA do do an exchange unit for this at somewhere near £200, but many garages try to get you to buy a new filter at nearer £500. All PSA do is wash it out and send it back.

Reply to
Brian

I could probably have a go myself but the main issue for me is should the garage have done it when they serviced it and would they be liable now?

Reply to
Barney

Why not ask them why they didn't change it? Certainly Peugeot do say that the early filters will need cleaning out or changing at about 48k, which co-incides with topping up the additive. Whether they consider this to be a standard part of the 48k service though I don't know.

Reply to
Brian

I was told by one Peugeot garage that the filter is only changed if the warning light has come on or the customer request it. Been driving it for a few months with the "Unblock diesel filter" message with no ill effects until yesterday. Just got on the motorway when the normal message came up about the filter but this was followed by the ESP failure light and anti-polluntion filter error. The next thing I know is some sort of limiter has kicked in which means I couldn't go above 2500 rpm. At this rpm I could travel at 75-80 mph in5th so carried on to my destination. Stopped over night and on the return journey everything was back to normal. Drove normally, no limiter and strangely enough no diesel filter message (this always pops up evey time the car is driven recently). Still think I had best book it in to get the filter changed though.

Reply to
Barney

Water in eletrics some where?

Reply to
Chrs

Hadn't thought of that - naturally assumed it was something to do with the FAP filter again. Mind you, it wasn't raining yesterday when the problems started.

Reply to
Barney

Water might of got in some where and sat waiting to move

Reply to
Chrs

When we do a service we change ALL the filters if they need it or not,as that what make the engine run better,for a couple of pounds its worth changing the filters.

Reply to
Chrs

I have been quoted a figure in the region of £350 to have the FAP filter changed.

Reply to
Barney

The FAP filter on the HDI is the particle filter in the exhaust pipe. I cleaned mine out by back flushing it with boiling water, but the dealer will either just do an exchange for a cleaned one, or try and con you into buying a new one at over £500. The exchange item is about half of this, plus labour, so we are not talking of a couple of quid.

Reply to
Brian