FAP filter

Been having some issues with my 307 (yes, no surprise there) and the dealer tells me that the FAP filter has failed and will need replacing. Now these things don't even need servicing till 120,000Km and I'm only on

53,000miles so seems to be a bit premature.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had this fail, is it a common thing? Also how much does it cost (ball park) to replace!

Thanks

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

I have had the same fault showing on the screen but if you leave well alone it wont cost you a penny and sorts itself out, I have had a mechanic look at it and test it and all is well.

Reply to
ROBERT IVES

I'm displaying my ignorance here. What is a FAP filter?

Reply to
Malc

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Hi,

FAP : Filtre à Particules, into french. Particle filter, which stops the particles in Diesel exhaust. This, associated with a good engine management (see HDi's) avoids the black smoke on Diesel cars. These 1st generation FAPs have to be cleaned using a special fluid, which was provided by Rhône-Poulenc. It was cleaning itself, say, every 500km (300 miles) automatically. Designed to last 80,000km (50,000 miles).

Now 2nd generation lasts 120,000km (72,000 miles).

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks=20

--=20 Malc

Reply to
Malc

AFAIK there is no replacing but cleaning with water every 120 000 km. According to PSA info.

Reply to
Jan Werbinski

Not sure that is correct. As I understand it, the original gen 1 filters (2000 607's only) require cleaning at ~50K miles and the updated gen 1 filters (307+406) had to be cleaned at ~75K miles. The fluid made by Rhône-Poulenc (cerine) is used to dope the diesel to lower the burning point of the particles caught in the filter when it regenerates every 500 to

1000Km. The fluid is never used to clean the filter directly.

The gen 2 (2004) filters still need the cerine doping in the fuel to allow them to regenerate, but do not require the 120,000Km service, they are totally self sufficient in that regard.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Hi,

I've heard of replacement, but I never experienced it myself, because I have no FAP on my car.

No, that's used to burn the particles stuck into the filter - which is pretty close to me to cleaning, and that was my point, as it's made automatically while driving.

I guess it was just a question of vocabulary instead of big mistakes.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Ok, sounded to me you where suggesting that the cerine was inected directly into the filter as part of it's cleaning cycle, which it's not. It's always in the diesel and chemically alters the soot so it burns at a lower temperature.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

my fav subject p.e.f . :) any questions fire away !!!

Reply to
MARK B (peugeot master tech) via CarKB.com

Ok, apparently mine has failed (i.e it's not regenerating it's self anymore). What are the pit falls of not having it replaced and is there anything that can be done to save myself the £600 bill I have just been quoted for it's replacement!

So much for a nice cheap-to-run small car!!

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

OK here's two for you that should help out any people thinking of doing DIY maitenance on their cars (like me):

Where can you get the cerine additive in the UK, and what is the likeley cost?

How do you refill the cerine reservoir, i.e where's the filler cap and how do you get to it?

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Hi steven sorry to hear about your ordeal.well if you don't replace the p.e.f. eventually the cerine will clogg it up so much the vehicle will be very under powered and could start to cut out .The reason WHY you have to replace the filter for in the first place is the cerine attaches itself to the carbon particles (as you all well know) and reduces the combustion temperature to around 450 degree's but the vehicle can burn off the carbon particles when it regenerates BUT can't burn off the cerine which in turn causes it to clog up in time .The first type of cerine was called dpx 42 and lasted to around 50,

000 miles ( has white connectors on additive filler union) The second type was called eloys 176 and could last around 72,000 (has green connectors on filler union) .The later type p.e.f's what will be coming out soon are cerine free!.back to your ordeal a lot of people have been kicking off about this so now peugeot will contribute towards it (not sure if they pay for filter or cerine) but can ask warranty manager if you request? good luck and all the best mark :)
Reply to
MARK B (peugeot master tech) via CarKB.com

"MARK B (peugeot master tech) via CarKB.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com...

Thanks for your comment's it nice to know what's really going on!

As much as I'm loathed to spend that sort of money, I can start to notice that the performance is dropping already.

My car is 6 weeks out of warranty, and it missed one service early in it's life so Peugeot will not touch it under any form of warranty :-(

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead