405 Power steering

Is it possible to change the nearside gaiter on a power rack without dismantling the rack. I have had a half-hearted attempt and gave up. The problem is removing the power ram and getting the gaiter over the mounting stud

Thanks

Rod

Reply to
Rod Marten

Mindwipe

Not possible to replace with the original Pug part, but I did manage to get a generic gaitor, which was made of rubber on. This will stretch over the power ram mounting bolt. You will have to cut the ends to fit the diameter of the rack. The ram does come off at that end, just slacken the bolt at the other end too. You will have to wagggle the steering from one end to the other, to find the best clearance on the bodywork. Worst bit was getting the tie wraps round the new gaitor in the right place to fix it in place. The OEM part sits in a groove. My replacement has been on for over a year now. Brian.

Reply to
brian