405 hub size / pattern

Hi,

I've recently moved to the continent and brought my '93 405 TD estate with me. I need to get some winter tyres, and I've been offered (free) a set + hubs which are no longer required which were on a BMW 5 series... I haven't seen them yet, but I wondered if anyone had experience of the hub patterns and knew if they were likely to be either compatable or even remotely useful.

I guess my 405 has standard 185/65 R14 's -- the ones on offer are

205/65 R15, on BMW compatable hubs (7Jx15). Looking at my car, these sound as if they will just about fit: only an extra .5" on the radius, and 2cm on the width?

I understand I will be left with a speedo (and presumably an odometer) which under reads by ~9%. Is there any legal issue with this? Will I have to insure my car differently?

The more I write the more I think I should just go to the garage, bite the bullet and buy a full winter set.

Cheers for any advice,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Panter

OK, another half an hour's research and things don't look very hopeful. I found that the hubs are quite different;

PCD offset C/Bore

405: 4x108 15..22 65.0 5-s: 5x120 18..20 74.0

If anyone has good news that would be great, otherwise I guess it's off to die kwikenfitten for me...

cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Panter

A further issue may be the hub bolts. I seem to remember that the bolts for my alloys are flat on the contact face, but those for steel wheels are rounded. I presume flat is so as not to stress the alloy, and rounded is for best centering.

Reply to
Wichita