405 TD LX Radiator

1996 405 TD Estate My radiator and air con condenser are both leaking, I have had a new condenser and radiator since April, and now its time for me to do the job,

can anyone give me a starting point, looks like the whole front has to come off ???

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

It is hassle. I found it easier to do with the engine out. This probably isn't an option for you. If all the pipes are off both rads then they will come out. It's easier to disconnect the lower rad pipe from the back of the engine and then remove it from the wires along the inner wing.

Reply to
yeha

Reply to
Mindwipe

Hi All, thanks for the reply, I had another look at it today and it looks like an absolute pain to remove,,,,,,, I will start on it tomorrow (Saturday) unless I can bring it to you Jeff.................... ;-)

Hi GT.........................

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Hi Pete,

Sure the AC makes the rad harder to remove. I had a look at my mum's '88 405 SRI, it doesn't seem too hard, but no AC on the car.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi Jeff,

Yup, but if you remove condenser or AC rad, you need to refill with gas, don't you ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Done it !!!

3-1/2 hours later,,,,,,,,,,,,

What a frustrating job it was,, Because I could not release the twist-lock hose clamps I had to remove the inner plastic wheel arches on both sides, this gave access to the front bumper bolts,, off came the bumper and fog's, sprayed all the hose clamps and hose connections with WD40, allowed it to soak in, then remove the bolts from the bonnet slam panel and pulled it forward, this helps to give some access to the hoses on the header tank end of the rad, after all the hoses where disconnected the rad came out quite easily, and after a few air con connections and a few bolts later, the condenser and dryer also came out easily, The rebuild took just 45 minutes,

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yes your right GT I have booked it in for re-gas on Monday, Just hope there are no more leaks, ??

Regards Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Hope you renewed the 'O' rings on the condenser connections?

Reply to
Nigel

the guy was changing the condensor anyway cos its leaking its easy enuf to remove the condensor first then the rad

Reply to
Mindwipe