405 clutch cable -- fitting advice

Clutch cable's gone -- again! '94 405 1.9 TD with 246,000 miles on the clock; clutch cable snapped yesterday. I only had it replaced 2 years ago.

I've decided to fit a new one myself this time. The old one is held to the clutch pedal by a cable tie! I've managed to get to the cable and I've ordered a new one; hope to fit it this evening (in the dark). Any hints or tips on how to fit it? I gather fitting it to the pedal can be a challenge and the Haynes manual is very unhelpful in this area.

Graham

Reply to
grimbonewt

If it's anything like my 306, in the dark is going to be a right pain. you have to track the cable round to the clutch and then feed it through a small hole in the footwell. I would suggest doing it in daylight with the bonus of a torch you get the best of both worlds. Even with a large lamp you'll get shadowing.

Having said that, 306 might be different to the 405, just advice here really.

Stu

I gather fitting it to the pedal can be a challenge

Reply to
Stuart Palmer

The foot pedal end has a curious nylon mini-brick connector do-hickey which is usually what breaks ... hence, I suspect, reason for your cable tie. In fact nice AA man was actually carrying a used one as a spare when mine went, so common is fault.

But outside of recommending a pillow for the door sill and a big and long-lived torch, I can't help ... because there's only room for one in there, and it was the AA guy.

Err ... I did see, and he did say, that an big twin-screw electrical connector will usually do to get you home ....

Reply to
Wichita

Clutch Cable went on my 405 TD (170,000 miles)took a look in the dark and realised it was going to be a bitch of a job, the inner cable had broken about 2 foot from the engine end.Ordered a cable that night and rung a local mobile mechanic, thought I would let him roll around in the dirt for a few quid an keep my hands clean! Next day he informs me that it's the wrong cable, and the plastic clip is snapped. order a new clip (Peugeot) a another cable.next day get home from work car still not fixed he tells me there is still a problem with the cable! turn up Saturday with another cable in his hand works on the car for an hour then knocks on my door to tell me the clutch is knackered, this I find hard to believe as the car runs sweet as a nut. He starts the engine and it sqweels away, pay the man £30.00 for his labour and of he goes. I don my overalls and take a look!! It turns out his fitted a push cable on a pull clucth and the first cable was the correct one in the first place, spend the rest of the day putting his c*ck up right, moral of the story "don't always believe what the so called pro's tell you" I now know all there is to know about these clutch cables so if you need any advice drop me a line. right now to get my 30 quid back!!!

Reply to
ossamar