406 2.1 TDI Sluggish

Hi,

Over the last few months I've noticed that my '97 406 GLX 2.1 TurboDiesel estate has become very sluggish at accelerating most of the time. And then, just occasionally, it returns to its normal quite nippy self. I've noticed it going from nippy to sluggish over the course of a single journey. Could be that it's only normal when the engine is cold but I might be imagining that.

Has anyone got any ideas about what might be at fault? What could be failing intermittently to make it lose power? Would it be worth me taking it to a dealer to examine the diagnostics from the Lucas Epic system?

The only thing I can think of is a sticky turbo wastegate, which given the accessibility of the turbo, I am dreading..... Whilst in 'sluggish' mode, the max turbo boost seemed to be around 0.5 bar when I measured it once.

Have changed fuel and air filters, disabled EGR. (btw, the latter gave me over 10% more MPG!)

Many thanks in advance of any help,

Jonny.

Reply to
jprs2