Fitting power steering

Hi Can anyone help. My son has a Peugeot 205 without power steering.

Is it possible to fit and what are the likely costs involved.

Kind regards

Reply to
berty

I'd say it was unlikely you'd be able to do it. You'd need a pump for the power steering, usually this is run off the engine - so changes needed there. Then you'd need to route the pipework to the steering, and you'd then need whatever gubbins that does the actual power assisted steering.

A rough guess would be that it'll be cheaper/easier to buy a new 205 with power steering (if they ever made any!)

David Hearn

Plus its awful stuff, power steering. Took me months to get used to having it on my new car. I suppose if I went back to the old one I would consider it a truck.

Reply to
Peter Chant

Hi,

Sold as an option (standard on very late models like Sacré Numéro or Génération). This option was not common on 205s, most customers bought them with standard steering... IMO, a 205 with no power steering isn't a truck, even on city drive. I've tested that too ;-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

You would need a new steering rack complete, with the power steering ram and control. Plus you would need the pump, and some way to drive it from the engine, which would possibly mean moving the alternator, then fitting a new belt, and possibly an additional idler pulley too. By the time this is done, you would find it easier and cheaper, if you must have power steering, to replace the car.

Reply to
Brian