406 Computer upgrade

I have a late 1999 (newer model) 90bhp 2ltr deisel HDI estate LX model. It doesn't have the trip computer but does have the outside temp, and the fact when setting the clock and other settings it asks whether I prefer KPH or MPH got me wondering if I could upgrade it to show the trip data.

So I've replaced the stalk with one that has the button on the end, and this now allows me to cycle through the distance available, average speed, current MPG and average MPG screens, though there is no data - just dashes instead of the figures.

What I need to know now is - can I access this information from the ECU and feed it into the display unit?

Any advice gratefully received......

Fish.

Reply to
wilkhaven

Hi Fish,

I installed a trip computer (which a got in the breakers yard) in to my

1998 406. I think the same will apply in both cases. My car wasn?t wired for the trip computer, well not for all the functions. The car was wired to display Radio & temperature only (I had to add temperature sensor to passenger door mirror which I got in the breakers yard too). I read the wiring diagrams in the Haynes book (I think newer model isn?t covered in a Haynes book) the trip computer required five additional wires, four of these wires only go to the instrument panel. I did some DIY and as per the Haynes book connected in the additional wires, I later learned of the fifth wire from this site, this wire is not shown in the Haynes Book, it?s between the main ECU and the trip computer. The wire is numbered as 1368, this wire gives live data on the fuel flow through the injectors, don?t know the terminal on your car?s ECU connector, but you can look to see if it is there. It is best to check this before going any farther as my ECU does not support a connection to the trip computer. Google ECU make and model (this data is I think on a sticker located on the ECU).

Check these links for more info.

Best of Luck

Bryan

Reply to