406 Estate queries

I went for a test drive in a second hand 406 estate yesterday.

Nice car, very impressed.

Two things worried me:

  1. on braking there was a liquid sloshing noise. It sounded like it was coming from the nearside but the seller dismissed this as "noise from the plastic fuel tank"

  1. on braking there was a slight bumping. After a while this stopped but the orange ABS light came on on the dashboard. The seller admitted he was puzzled by this and said he had tried fitting a new ABS sensor on the front nearside.

Do either of these things sound like a serious problem?

Thanks for any advice

Andy

Reply to
Evemail News

I've had my estate for five years and never had a sloshing noise, even emanating from the fuel tank area. I once had a car where the door filled with water, a couple of drilled holes fixed that. Lights illuminating on a dashboard are generally warnings!

Reply to
John Hollinshead

The sloshing noise will be water in the sill. To get rid of it stick a smallish screwdriver at the rear of the sill underneath where the sill is welded to the body. Keep trying and eventually water will pour out!! The ABS light coming on is more worrying and needs to be taken to a dealer to read the faults on Diag. Maybe just a wheel sensor or something more serious. Don't buy until this is done.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks for the advice.

I was seriously impressed with the car but I'm having second thoughts. I think I'll sleep on it.

Andy

Reply to
Evemail News