406 Locking

Hi all.

I have an HDI diesel 406 on a 02 plate. My problem is the central locking. When I press the button to lock the car, I can hear the locks activate followed by a bleep but the car is not locked, the bleep is something new. This has happened intermittently over the last couple of months, but today it won't lock at all. Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received.

Bryan

Reply to
Bystander

The beep, usually followed by the un-locking noise means that the system thinks one of the doors is not fully shut. this is normally backed up by the lack of indicators flashing (at least this is what happens on my 405) Either you still have a door/boot lid/tailgate open or more likely one of the sensors on one of the locks is duff/damaged/stuck. A good squirt of aerosol type light oil into the lock mechanism (ideally not wd40 as it is not a long term lubricant) followed by manual exercising of the lock mechanism might help. I don't know any easy way of telling which door is at fault. :-(

good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thank you Bob, I will give that a try, At the moment I have locked it with the key in the door. I will use a light oil aerosol as you suggest.

Bryan

Reply to
Bystander

Silicone oil in a spray can will do the job.i had problems on that 405 mof mine a little of that and it work wonders.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris I will have a go tomorrow, it's locked with the key at the moment.

Bryan

Reply to
Bystander