406 TDI HDI 2L 110HP

please help!! engine running lumpy and often cutting out at low revs. Sometimes wont start and sometimes will start but does not respond at all to accelorator compression. this has been going on for some months and one garage want to replace the whole fuel inj system!!!! three garages are baffled because the prob is intermittant and doesnt happen there. I guess its worse when eng cold. Is fine on long motorway runs. Id appreciate any advice, Im desperate!!!

Reply to
murphy

wont start and sometimes will start but does not respond at all to accelorator compression. this has been going on for some months and one garage want to replace the whole fuel inj system!!!! three garages are baffled because the prob is intermittant and doesnt happen there. I guess its worse when eng cold. Is fine on long motorway runs. Id appreciate any advice, Im desperate!!!

fix your news program, then change your fuelfilter, air filter

Reply to
Marc

Sometimes wont start and sometimes will start but does not respond at all to accelorator compression. this has been going on for some months and one garage want to replace the whole fuel inj system!!!! three garages are baffled because the prob is intermittant and doesnt happen there. I guess its worse when eng cold. Is fine on long motorway runs. Id appreciate any advice, Im desperate!!!

And when you change your fuel filter have a look inside the bowl and see if there are any bits of bronze filings in the bottom. If so, the other garage is correct. You will need to change the entire fuel system, from tank to injectors.

Reply to
Nigel

I also found a number of very fine metal chips in the fuel filter bowl. I do not have big problems although the engine is not running very quiet. especially round 3000 rpm the engine shakes a bit. any clues ?

harry

Sometimes wont start and sometimes will start but does not respond at all to accelorator compression. this has been going on for some months and one garage want to replace the whole fuel inj system!!!! three garages are baffled because the prob is intermittant and doesnt happen there. I guess its worse when eng cold. Is fine on long motorway runs. Id appreciate any advice, Im desperate!!!

Reply to
ha

That sounds like a problem I had. The fuel lift pump in the tank is breaking up. Peugeot wanted to replace everything from the tank to the injectors and charge £3,500. An independent repairer replaced the pump, flushed it all out and replaced the filters. Even so it cost around £800 (by all accounts the pump alone is £500). Looking on the 'net it seems to be a common problem with the HDI's.

Hope I am wrong for your pocket's sake but it doesn't sound likely.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Well, as I said, the correct way is to cnage everything in the fuel system, but I suppose you could get the tank flushed and cleaned, the fuel lines, both plastic and metal, cleaned and blown through, maybe the common rail the same. Renew the filter and thoroughly clean out the bowl. But you MUST change the low pressure pump in the tank, and the high pressure pump on the engine, and really the injectors too. Not cheap I'm afraid. I presume it's out of warranty? If only just you may get your dealer to put in a goodwill claim to Peugeot. Good luck!

Reply to
Nigel

Thank you for your reply.

Peugeot told me the fuel lift pump costs around 400 euro. I guess this pump as already been replaced in the past, because the body metal around the access cover is damaged.

I still wonder where the bronze fillings i found in the filter originate from ? From fuel lift pump, injector or high pressure pump ?

harry

Reply to
ha

As I understand from the Peugeot agent who diagnosed my problem, they come from the lift pump and are the sign that it is failing. I have found, looking around the internet, that although my car was fine until 94,000 miles, other people have experienced this fault at much lower levels. It definitely seems to be a common problem with the HDI diesels.

Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I have a 1996 TD which looses power and the engine management light comes on also cuts out at junctions sometimes but starts straight away.Changed the fuel filter and there was a lot of grit in the bottom of the chamber not sure if it was bronze.When put on Pug diagnostic they said it was a sensor and changed one on the filter housing, all was ok for a few days but now the problem has come back. Any ideas much appreciated. Cheers Paul.

Reply to
paulsolo1

on also cuts out at

there was a lot of grit in the

they said it was a sensor

the problem has come back.

Sorry Paul, I am not familiar with the TD. The engine we are talking about here is the 2 litre HDI, also known as a Rail Diesel. As far as I know the TD engine does not have the uplift pump arrangement which is why they have to be primed if you run out of fuel. Haynes manual seems to imply that the only problem likely to occur is with the fuel being contaminated. Could the bronze specks you speak of have come from a faulty fuel station pump? If so, your cure might be to have your tank flushed and the existing fuel filtered, but I suggest you take professional advice first.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks