Pug 20 1.6 GTI sludge in throttle housing

Hi,

I recently had a problem which evidently was due to sludge in the throttle housing.

The symptoms were failure to acclerate and failure to pull. An intermittent problem.

I had the problem diagosed at a garage and the mechanic has cleaned the housing and the breather pipes.

I note now that occasionally the car idles at about 2000 rpm. If I blip the throttle it settles down to a lower level.

I can't see any problem with the pipes or cables around the throttle housing.

I was wondering if some wd40 sprayed onto the cables at the throttle housing might help.

This problem is intermittent, and a blip on the throttle always returns the idle speed to lower level.

The car has always idled on the fast side.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks.

species8350

you dont know untill you have tryed so spray a bit of wd40. if it works let everybody know

Reply to
Chris

et everybody know

Thanks for responding.

It seems to have settled down.

As a matter of interest, do you how how to clean the throttle housing?

Thanks.

species8350

let everybody know

--=20 Chris

Reply to
Chris

then wipe it off with a bit of rag ,worth a try..

ks let everybody know

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

The housing looks sealed in.

There is a breather pipe (narrow) connected at the top, and a larger hose connected to the metering system.

It looks like this larger hose would have to be removed to clean the inside of the housing.

Bit of a job.

Best wishes.

species8350

s then wipe it off with a bit of rag ,worth a try..

orks let everybody know

I intend to try and clean out the part of the breather that includes the oil filler assembly.

The problem is that the neck takes a sharp turn. Any idea how I can clean below this bend.

The sump is full so I can't run any oil down that would clear this part of the breather.

Thanks

Reply to
species8350