Transmission slipping out of gear

This morning while driving down the highway in 5th gear, the engine revved up and I noticed it had slipped into neutral. I put it back
into 5th and it immediately went back into neutral. Later on it was sticky going into 5th then jumped out again. After that it jumped out again.
The weather was 32 degrees this morning. It's been about 30,000 miles since the transmission oil was last changed. The 97 Tacoma 4 cyl has 172,000 miles on it. This is the first time there have been any problems.
What do you think the problem is?
How much do you reckon it will cost to get it fixed?
Would you recommend taking it to a dealer for transmission problems? I don't have any first hand knowledge of how good the local shops are. I guess I could start asking around.
Any advice will be appreciated
I had a 94 that was hard to shift when cold. it jumped out of second a few times. As the hard shifting was the main problem I tried putting a Red Line synthetic transmission oil in. Both problems solved.

On 11/24/2012 8:13 AM, Texas Dawg wrote:

Sounds like the notorious Toyota shifter seat disintegration problem. Take off the boot and pop off the shift lever retainer and see if you still have a shifter ball seat left at all. The rubber tends to fall apart. Easy fix - Marlin Crawler website sells a superior replacement seat and socket. More info? Go to yotatech.com and search for "shifter seat".
Also, like the other replier said, get yourself some Redline MT-90 synthetic 75w-90 GL-4 oil in there. I believe it boosted my mpg!
dan

Agreed: that is the most likely cause. The insert angle also has to be correct, otherwise the stick will not stay in 5th gear.

--
"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts must be discarded
or revised." -- Dr. Carl Sagan

This happened in my 1992 Toyota 6Cyl pickup. The gear box has encountered a rock, and had lifted upwards by about two inches by the steel bar that was put in place to protect it. I removed the bar, and the gear box say back in its correct place. I assume this is common only among people who live or work on a dirt road.
I also assume the gear select sleve inside your gear box has worn out at the high end. Bummer, but that's a horror if you don't have the time to fix it yourself.
--
"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts must be discarded
or revised." -- Dr. Carl Sagan
The weather finally got good enough, and I managed to get some time to work on the shifter problem.
My original post was from November where it was recommended I get a shifter seat from yotatech.com.
I got the seat and a cap. Today I got the carpet up and removed the boot and tried to pull out the shifter. There is an insert holding down the spring that won't come out. Is there a trick to getting it out without tearing it up?
I also tried pulling straight up on the shifter, hoping it would all come out together. That didn't work. I thought now would be a better time to ask advice instead of waiting until something gets torn up.
The video on yotatech.com only shows how to install the shifter seat.
All help will be appreciated.

I used a large pair of channel locks to push down and turn counter-clockwise the part. My part for the shifter was inside the transmission tube and not a cap on top of the transmission/shifter tube.
Mike

If I remember correctly iot is a push down and 1/8 turn but not sure what year you have.
On 03/28/2013 03:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

1997...... Pushing down and turning left got it.
That seat was all messed up. Tomorrow I'll take it for a test drive.
This Internet's pretty helpful, sharing information is great.
Is there a web site where I can order parts like a license plate light fixture, or a fuel filter?
On 3/29/2013 4:10 PM, Texas Dawg wrote:

I buy a lot of parts off ebay, new and used. For new parts, I like rockauto.com. There are many others online that offer great prices with discounts.