A Comfortable Car & Cheap To Run

They're right in that it doesn't *need* running in - ie, you don't need to keep below 3000rpm in the first 1000 miles etc.

But as you cover more miles, things will loosen up as the friction surfaces wear etc. - note that as you cover more miles, this trend will reverse. You'll make less power and give less economy when you're upto 150,000 miles :)

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com, "Nom" slurred :

150k? Bah. That's barely run in for a PSA TD/HDi lump!
Reply to
Albert T Cone
[...]

Friend of mine just did a return trip Rosyth - Rotterdam - 'Ring in a chipped 330d with 280bhp at an average of 37mpg /including/ five laps of the 'Ring (9'55" best lap) and cruising at ~120-150mph through most of Germany...

Jings!

Alistair J Murray

Well, what I meant is not flooring the accelerator or revving the engine unduly. Changing up early. Avoid braking as much as possible by anticipating when you will need to slow down, bearing in mind that in 6th grear a 407 loses speed very slowly indeed, or not at all on even a slight downhill slope. With the 407 i can keep below 2000 RPM all the time for example, if I drive within the legal limit.

It doesn't mean driving slowly at all, within reason. 2000 RPM is peak torque, so you can still accelerate well when you need to.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

That's because it's almost certainly still squirting in a meaningful amount of fuel into the engine. It's only because of tall gearing that it does this...

With the air conditioning system compressor running, most ECUs* continue to squirt fuel into the donk, so you can extend your deceleration distance over a considerable distance.

The technique is the same for all cars, it just feels easier in some. With ours, we don't have such tall gearing but I can achieve the same effect as you by giving the engine a bare sniff of power, thus extending my deceleration over a considerable distance. It achieves the same thing. You just have to think about it more.

*in my experience at least.
Reply to
DervMan