Cheap first car?

I'm looking for a cheap first car for daughter. Anyone have any thoughts given:

Under £1000. Lowest possible insurance group. Five doors. Sturdy. Reliable. Mainly for London area, no long trips. Easy to drive. Cheap to fix.

I've had 405s and 305s and driven other Peugeots but I'm not sure if any Peugeot fits the above and might have to look to Golf or Ford Fiesta/Escort. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply to
Wichita

106
Reply to
Mindwipe

ahah! the 305 now there is a car!!!

buy a diesel one and you be driving it a long time :-)

the 106 might fit the bill more, dont know if it comes in five doors otherwise a 205?

Reply to
Marc

Hi,

Yup. Not a "wow that's a nice looking car", but it does the job.

Sure !

It does. The 205 is generally overpriced (at least here, in France), but offers a more complete set of choices (with enough time) :

- petrol "classic";

- powerful petrol (most 1360cc TUs, GTi's);

- "big bore" Diesels (1769cc, not 1.5), silent and quite powerful (I usually don't complain about mine) ;

- TD (1769cc turbocharged, 78HP) ideal for motorways, fast passing ;

- Automatic (only with XU52C or XU5M engine, AFAIK). And you may drive these a long time, too (prefer 88- models, they use galvanised steel and are less prone to rust).

HTH, G.T (proud '93 Junior D owner). snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

There was also a 1.9 Auto Special Edition. I think it was called the Gentry, but you wont see many of them!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs
106 or 306 should fit the bill. Golfs are overrated and for under =A31k you'll only get an ancient one.
Reply to
gsmpcn

Corsa

Reply to
Dave Spam

Hi,

Errrr... We also had a Gentry here (I saw some of them last month while on a meeting with the 205 Club of France), mostly a GTi with the following specs : 1.9 cat'd "big torque" (105HP, IIRC), full leather seats, A/C (as an option), and many "GT-like" gizmos (like the courtesy mirror light - not sure about the term, the mirror which is on the passenger side, inside the part you put down to reduce the glare). But only available with the BE3, AFAIK. I don't say the export-specs for Gentries were the same than french ones, though.

Regards G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

The words sturdy and reliable could hardly be applied to these two. Try a Mazda. Or a Fiesta.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

Hi,

Come on, stop kidding ! The 106 1.4D isn't reliable, according to my standards, but the 205 is reliable, and so is the 106 1.5D (but not really comfy to drive). Consider the spares parts' price on these cars...

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T