Airco and engine power

Is it possible that an engine loses some power when the airco is on? I'm driving a 406 2.0 and the car seems to drive a little bit better when the airco is off.

Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco Beishuizen

like your 406 an airco is not a perpetuem mobile

it uses power ( and lots of it too! )

Reply to
Marc

On stardate Sun, 4 Apr 2004, the wise Marc entered:

Do you know how much horsepower it takes?

Reply to
Marco Beishuizen

don't know but one could calculate the BTU and from there the consumed power...

I expect it to be somewhere around 2 Kilowatt

Reply to
Marc

Can be quite a lot, I've heard figures quoted of up to 10%. For quick passing manoeuvres I tend to switch off the airco just for the move. If I leave it on overtaking can take a lot longer in my old 405 (1.8) break...

regards,

Bzn. Pays-Bas

Reply to
Bzn.