black smoke

Hi. my 306 turbo diesel (1997) is making a lot of black smoke from the exhaust, mainly on aceleration. Oil/air & fuel filter are due in 3000 miles. Could it be just that, or shall I seek professional help. maybe injectors??? Thanks, Rui.

Reply to
ruisul

It can also be due to a lot of s*1t in the system. Try the normal pre MOT proceedure. Find an empty road, and accellerate hard in second, keep it at max revs for about 5 seconds. T start with you will get black smoke, but it will clear. Afterwards it should be better. Of course, if you have got a blocked air filter, nothing but changing it will help, though you can get a temporary respite by taking it out and dusting it off, or vacuuming it. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

"" wrote: > Hi. my 306 turbo diesel (1997) is making a lot of black smoke > from the > exhaust, mainly on aceleration. > Oil/air & fuel filter are due in 3000 miles. Could it be just > that, or > shall I seek professional help. maybe injectors??? > Thanks, > Rui.

You may have to get more specific advice on this one, lack of air in ratio to the fuel is the problem. Check out any leaks from turbo thro to intake housing, check any butterfly for sticking closed, maybe low boost pressure from turbo, maybe any rubber air intakes collapsing on high revs. Maybe injectors require testing. There?s a lot of possibilities. T.

Reply to
Tonyh