240DL trembles and black smoke coming out if muffler

Hi, I recently posted a problem similar to this but yesterday it got worse. When I turn on my '89 240DL, the car starts trembling (it's a very noticeable tremble) and black smoke is coming out of the muffler at the same "rhythm" as the trembling (ie. everytime car trembles, black smoke comes out - it's not constant smoke). I took it to a Volvo mechanic and he told me that it was a problem with the engine block (I think he said water is falling into the pistons) so they'll have to take the engine block out and solder a rusty piece in it. And it's going to cost me $500+ . I have a bad feeling about these mechanics' practices so I wanted to consult with you guys first.

Before yesterday, it used to tremble but, as soon as I gave it gas for a few seconds, everything went back to normal (I never noticed if black smoke was coming out).

Although I know nothing about cars, I did notice that there's less coolant (I filled it about a seek ago) and now it's almost empty.

What do you guys think?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
VM

Find another repair shop & get a second opinion on what is wrong a third estimate from the dealer would not hurt either before you go off blindly Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Without seeing the car & what codes if any are stored it would be impossible to even guess what it could be but I do not like what the first garage told you I wish that I could be of more help right now please post back as to what your other diagnoses are then I might be able to guide you in a direction Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

I wanted to do that but I wasn't sure if my car would break down if I kept on driving it. But I guess I have no choice. Would you by any chance have an idea of what may be causing this?

Reply to
VM

If it was my car, I'd pull out the dipstick and take off the oil filler cap, and inspect for a creamy brown coating indicating water in the crankcase. This could indicated a cracked block or a failed head gasket. I'd also inspect the coolant reservoir for falling levels. A failed head gasket would cost you a lot less.

Pulling the spark plugs might tell you a few things, too- the ceramic insulator that goes inside the combustion chamber should have an even light brown coloration on all of the plugs.

I'd check the spark plug wires for cracks and discoloration. I'd check the distributor cap for cracks, especially if the problem is worse when it's humid or raining.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Have you tried fuel cleaner in the fuel tank and emptying/replacing the fuel filter. The filter should be replaced every 60,000 miles. Slackening the screw on top of the filter housing then opening the plastic tap at the bottom of the filter will enable any water that has contaminated the fuel to be drained off. Close tap when neat fuel comes out and retighten screw. You should also check the Crankcase Ventilation. If you have Exhaust Gas Recirculation fitted you should thoroughly clean the inlet manifold. Black smoke is caused by too much fuel and could well be caused by the cold start mechanism not working properly. This can be caused by the temperature sensor at the back of the cylinder head having gone duff. You should also check the glow-plugs and glow-plug relay (with associated 80 Amp fuse).

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes