406: false 'engine temp. too high' warning

Every now and then I have a period that I get this warning, including flashing 'STOP' sign and a beep. The temperature meter reads normal values, I keep driving and no problems so far (except the beep etc.). This evening I had it for about half an hour (intermittent).

Any idea what may cause this? Maybe a sensor? If so, where can I find it?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Griep

"Theo Griep" schreef in bericht news:4356bf4b$0$6087$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

Look at:

Donkeyman

Have you got air conditioning? If so it could be the Bitron sensor on the thermostat housing. Try taking off the connector cleaning and replacing.

Reply to
Malc

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

STOP sign also illuminates when brake or steering fluid are low. Tends to come on intermittently as level starts to drop.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

On a 306 with aircon cleaning connectors helped recently, this was for an intermittent, flickering light.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Thanks, great site! I hope this is the answer:

'll check the resistor. Everybody else thanks, too, for your tips. If the resistor is not causing the trouble I'll try the other tips&hints. I'll post the outcome.

Theo

"Donkeyman" schreef in bericht news:43573698$0$749$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

Reply to
Theo Griep

It's terrible isn't it? You write perfect English and probably (like the other Dutch people I know) speak it too, yet I can't understand a word of your language. I'm sure that's a great website but I can't read it.

Reply to
Malc

"Malc" schreef in bericht news:qIT5f.133505$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

I'm sure there must a British equivalent of

Kind greetings, Donkeyman (from the Netherlands)

Reply to
Donkeyman