Bubbles in fuel line on 306 TD 1997

Hi All,

I wonder if someone is able to offer me a little advise? I think I know what is wrong, and how to fix it, but I'd very much like to check.

My 306 has had a little trouble starting recently, to the point that of late, it now always starts for 1 second, then dies. Im fairly sure that this is due to air in the fuel line. What I do is pump the primer, and I see air moving along the pipe. Then engine then starts fine, with a little smoke. It hadn't bothered me until today..

Today I changed my filters, I whilst I was working on the fuel filter, I had a look at what might be letting air in. I slacked off the jubilee clip that secures the fuel line to the filter head and gave it a little tug. To my surprise, I was left with a rubber pipe, with a piece of hard plastic piping (inside) sticking out, and a hole in the filter head. I presume that this is broken, and that the hard platsic pipe should be an integral part of the filter head, and that mine has snapped off. I can't see that the jubilee clip serves any purpose at the moment, as the interface between the hose and the filter is just how tightly the plastic pipe fits into the hole (not very).

What I have noticed is that when idling, I can see air bubbles travelling along the pipe. Also, the engine stutters a little, also when accelerating.

So, to my questions:

  1. Am I right in saying that the filter head should have a plastic pipe projecting out of it, and that mine is broken?

  1. Can I get a new one from any PUG dealer?

  2. Could I fix it myself by gluing the pipe back into the filter head?

  1. Am I doing any damage by driving it like this?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

tom saffell

Reply to
tom.saffell

Hi All,

I wonder if someone is able to offer me a little advise? I think I know what is wrong, and how to fix it, but I'd very much like to check.

My 306 has had a little toruble starting recently, to the point that of late, it now always starts for 1 second, then dies. Im fairly sure that this is due to air in the fuel line. What I do is pump the primer, and I see air moving along the pipe. Then engine then starts fine, with a little smoke. It hadn't bothered me until today..

Today I changed my filters, I whilst I was working on the fuel filter, I had a look at what might be letting air in. I slacked off the jubilee clip that secures the fuel line to the filter head and gave it a little tug. To my surprise, I was left with a rubber pipe, with a piece of hard plastic piping (inside) sticking out, and a hole in the filter head. I presume that this is broken, and that the hard plastic pipe should be an integral part of the filter head, and that mine has snapped off. I can't see that the jubilee clip serves any purpose at the moment, as the interface between the hose and the filter is just how tightly the plastic pipe fits into the hole (not very).

What I have noticed is that when idling, I can see air bubbles travelling along the line. Also, the engine stutters a little, also when accelerating.

So, to my questions:

  1. Am I right in saying that the filter head should have a plastic pipe projecting out of it, and that mine is broken?

  1. Can I get a new one from any PUG dealer?

  2. Could I fix it myself by gluing the pipe back into the filter head?

  1. Am I doing any damage by driving it like this?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

tom saffell

Reply to
tom saffell

Probably

Almost certainly but at what cost?

I wouldn't like to rely on it but hey give it a go. Failing that buy a cheap inline fuel filter to use for a couple of days until you source the proper one. Scrapyard?

No

Reply to
Malc