changing the 406 rear disc's & pads

The time has come for me to change the rear discs & pads on my 1999 406 HDI I have changed various pads & discs on various makes and models of cars over the years, The question I have, is there anything I need to look out for while doing the 406 brakes, do I need any special tools. Is it worth the agro of me doing it myself (I am not as young as I used to be and have even less patience these days) .Should I just take it to the garage and get them to do it, been quoted £130 all in to have it done. Cheers in advance GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

It would be as well to also buy a spring fitting kit as the pins can seize in the caliper and get damaged on removal. The pads can also be tight in the caliper. The pistons just push back. You don't need to remove the caliper to remove the disc, BUT you do need to de-adjust the handbrake shoes through the hole in the hub of the disc which should have a rubber bung in it. Put the new disc on and adjust the handbrake shoes through the hole up tight. Then back off until the disc can be rotated freely, usually 4 to 6 clicks. The disc is held on by two Torx screws (30 I think) Put the new pads in with a little copaslip on the sides where they slide in the caliper. Also a little copaslip on the pins. Good luck!

Reply to
Nigel

Cheers for the info Nigel, I will start pricing up the bits, and then wait until the freezing fog goes and give it a go. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones