clutch 306

ive just bought a mreg 306xl,its done 70k and the clutch is super heavy! if i get a new clutch will it get lighter?has any1 got an idea how much it will cost at a garage??thanks

Reply to
vinnieclarke69

I think it's a 306 trait. It's something to do with the conversion to right hand drive, the cable passes the exhaust, which dries up any grease in the cable. You'll get used to it in time, I did anyway,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

The XU-engined Peugeots are known to get super-heavy clutches with age. If yours is similar (and, at around 70k, it sounds like it is), then yes, a new clutch would probably solve things. I think this is a trait of many cars with a cable-operated clutch. The problem seems to lie in the fact that as the clutch wears away, you lose the mechanical advantage in the clutch system as the mating faces of the clutch begin to meet further along the clutch travel. You probably still have a lot of life left in the clutch, though.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hi Chris,

Well, I'm pretty surprised. I'm driving my good, old '93 205 D (XUD7/L), since it's 43k miles, and the clutch isn't heavier. Not heavier for my mum's '88 405 SRi, 90k miles. My brother has a heavy clutch on his 205 DTurbo, but it's a hardened clutch, which may well explain that.

Perhaps the clutch being harder after a while is one of the RHD conversion matters.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Perhaps so. Having had to change my own clutch, and having spoken to quite a few other people, it seems that the clutch starts getting heavy after around

70-90k miles. Changing it made it much lighter.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B